Sunday, July 19, 2009

Christian Comes Home


After nearly two weeks in the Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU), Christian decided he'd had enough. With only "proof that he can feed himself" standing in the way of him and home, he tore out his feeding tube (literally) and, almost overnight, went from drinking about 40cc of milk in one feeding to nearly three times that amount.

And so they were forced to let him go, and we abandoned plans for T-shirts that said, "Free Christian" on the front and "Let My Baby Go!" on the back.

In all seriousness, we are deeply grateful to have our family all together again--the first time in over a month--and for the the many wonderful doctors, nurses, and other staff at the University of Utah Medical Center, who made it all possible. (A big thanks too, to Jenny and Joe Davidson, who went above and beyond in watching our kids over the past month to allow me, and later, me and Becky, to spend so much time at the hospital.)

Christian, for his part, will probably soon long for the relative peace and quiet of the NICU, as he's been mobbed by his siblings ever since his triumphal return home at about 11:00 a.m. this morning. We're thrilled to have him home, and feel greatly blessed to welcome another child into our family.







3 comments:

PartyOfFour said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful family you have, Tim.

Jenn said...

Oh how sweet!! I am so glad you are together now, and can have your life back. I was glad to help, and know you would have done the same for me!!!

jennie said...

How wonderful, Tim! I'm so glad you all get to be home finally. He's a gorgeous little newborn, and I love the pics with his big brother and sisters. How fun. Wish I were there.