Monday, February 2, 2009

Slow Children at Play


I've been amused by this and other failures in punctuation recently. The one I saw today was "No trespassing violators will be prosecuted."

One that you may (or may not) find amusing depending on your political persuasion can be found off the George Washington Memorial Parkway just outside of Washington, D.C. We used to pass it all the time, though I never bothered to take a picture. Although punctuation isn't the issue there, it reads simply: "George Bush Center for Intelligence."

(Photo courtesy of Danny McL on Flickr; available at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmcl/2010860577/. We've seen lots of these; the funniest occur where, as here, there is no obvious visual break between "slow" and "children.")

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I am sure you find all kinds of gramatical (that might even be one) errors in my writing. I wished I was better, but one day.....maybe!

jennie said...

I've always chuckled at the "slow" sign... I saw a play on it once, deliberately punctuation-less, I think: "slow grandparents at play."