Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A New Appreciation for Bar Chocolate

So, I made chocolate truffles today, and it taught me a greater appreciation for ordinary bar chocolate. After some five hours and an enormous amount of work, I managed to convert two perfectly good blocks of Callebaut chocolate into a lot of smaller, rounder pieces of Callebaut chocolate.

Actually, it wasn’t quite that bad--and the truffles, for their part, were quite good (what's not to like about melted chocolate and fresh cream?)--but I’ll never look at a truffle the same way again.

(Photo from Portakal Agaci; available at http://www.portakalagaci.com/oburcuk/2004/01/chocolate_truff_1.html.)

3 comments:

Jenn said...

No- I loved your truffles, so keep it up! You will master it just like you have the cheesecake! Your cheesecakes are soooo good, and I was never a fan of cheesecakes! Good job!!!

jennie said...

I wish I were there to be a taste tester! Did you try what we talked about? ...gnash with a little less cream? I meant to try over Christmas -- bought all the chocolate and cream for it and slowly whittled away the supplies until there weren't enough left. oops! I just read in Cook's Illustrated about Callebaut. Need to try it.

Tim said...

Jennie: Yeah, I did what we talked about--I blended milk chocolate and semisweet 50/50 and used a little less than a cup of cream for about a pound of chocolate. Consistency came out pretty firm, about like a Cavanaugh's mindy mint, which is what I was shooting for. I made mint (rolled in powdered sugar), regular rolled in cocoa powder, regular rolled in toasted almonds and cinnamon, and even tried a few with cinnamon and cayenne pepper. Even the last were suprisingly good. But what's really fun is peeling all the little hardened smears of chocolate from the wax paper and tossing them down by the dozen. Wafer thin, they melt instantly on the tongue. Highly addictive.