Sunday, December 28, 2008

Spam Jello

So, we're getting ready for a family holiday party, and I did a little internet sleuthing to try to confirm a jello and 7-Up recipe from my childhood that remains a favorite among my extended family. I know, I know: jello is kinda gross, and 'green jello salad' stands as a Mormon cliche, but this particular "salad" (ha!) tastes pretty good, at least as I remember it.

Having said that, many of the jello salad recipes I found online were truly horrific. I'm cool with canned fruit in Jello--seems like a natural fit--but miracle whip and cheddar cheese?

As much as that makes my stomach turn, we make lots of dishes here in America that make foreign foods like fried grasshoppers seem downright appetizing (blended hot dog, processed cheese, mayo and pickle sandwich, anyone?). But even the wildest gross-out songs from my childhood could not have prepared me for this:

Spam Jello

1 large box lemon or lime Jello
1 large can Spam
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup ice cold water
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
4 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup relish; pickle, corn, etc.
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
Tabasco to taste

And, no, it's not a joke, near as I can tell. Oh well, I guess someone deserves points for combining the two biggest cliche foods of all time: spam and green jello. Hungry anyone?

(Photo courtesy of ash2276 on Flickr; available at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ash2276/2115503612/.)

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Oh- that is gross! You should try it and see if it is. I think that is only fair! You might love it, but I will take your word for it, either way, because I know I will never try it!